About Me

My photo
I'm Beth. I'm married to my best friend, and he's pretty awesome. We have two equally awesome kids, Gavin and Sophie.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

MMmmmeatloaf

We've been eating paleo for about 6 or 7 months now.  And while sometimes its really easy -- I can't imagine going back to eating pasta or bread or any of that other stuff -- sometimes its sorta hard, like when fries or ice cream sound irresistibly delicious.  You ladies know what I'm talking about. 
I most definitely could NOT have made this switch, though, without some major help.  A lot of that help comes from my super supportive and super fit and healthy husband, but another large portion comes from Sarah Fragoso at Everyday Paleo, who has written the most awesome book!  I say book because it is way more than a cookbook.  A cookbook on steroids maybe.  I have never ever tried an Everyday Paleo recipe that I didn't like.  In fact, Ernie requests them over and over.  And while I do cook other things that are paleo friendly, most of the best stuff I've made has come from the book or the Everyday Paleo website. So thank you THANK YOU to Sarah for helping me exponentially in this huge lifestyle change!
One thing I have been thinking about lately is meatloaf.  I always made really good meatloaf, and I was a little sad that my recipe would be a no-no now.  Yesterday I decided to try a paleo recipe for meatloaf and what do you know...it was AWESOME.  The only downside was that our whole house smelled delicious for an hour while it cooked and we were starving by the time it was ready. :)  So I am going to include the recipe here, courtesy of Sarah Fragoso.  If you're not sure about this crazy paleo stuff, try this!  I bet you like it. :)

Everyday Meatloaf

* 2 pounds ground beef
* 1 cup almond meal
* 2 eggs
* 1- 6 ounce can tomato paste
* 1 finely diced red onion
* 3 minced garlic cloves
* 1/2 tbsp sea salt
* 1/2 cup diced fresh basil
* 1 tsp marjoram
* 2 tsp finely ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients by hand in a large mixing bowl.
3. Place mixture into a large glass baking dish, and form into a loaf (Gavin asked "why is it called meatloaf?" this is why.)
4. Bake for 1 hour or until meatloaf is no longer pink in the middle.

This should serve 5, according to the recipe...however, if you have an eater like Ernie, it will serve about 3.  Next time, I plan on making 2 at once so we can actually have some leftovers because I am already wanting more! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers