About Me

My photo
I'm Beth. I'm married to my best friend, and he's pretty awesome. We have two equally awesome kids, Gavin and Sophie.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Whiny Britches

Does anyone know how much I despise driving anywhere except for around town??  I HATE IT.  I wouldn't say I'm a wuss, but it just gives me huge anxiety.  It didn't used to be that way, but it is now.  Living in Yelm, I really don't have reason to drive anywhere else but to Olympia, and out to Spanaway to get Gavin.  And there's not really even any traffic on those drives. 
Today, I had the DELIGHTFUL task of driving to downtown Tacoma to pick up Ernie's race packet for the Tacoma Narrows Half Marathon that he's running tomorrow morning.  Okay, so I wasn't looking forward to driving to Tacoma in the first place, and add on top of it that today is Friday, which is Awesome Traffic Day in the area, especially after 2 pm, which is when the packet pickup started!  Sophie and I left home at 1 pm and went on our merry way.  I got to drive through the armpit that is Spanaway/Parkland (by the way, I can read about 1/4 of the signs in that area.  Not that I mind Spanish...) and when I got to Tacoma, hooray: road construction!  I took the detour, and by this time I really REALLY had to pee.  We found a parking spot several streets and a steep hill away, and finally Sophie and I made it to the hotel where they were set up.  The actual packet pick up was super easy and quick -- I gave them Ernie's name, the lady pulled his stuff out and put it in a bag, told Sophie she was cute and smiled at her, and we were done!  It was fun dragging a tired 3 year old back up the steep hill ("mommy this is too much, its making me SORE") and then it was time to drive home! 
Also, I am terrible with directions.  Usually, if I say something bad about myself, or whatever, my dad will say "oh no you're not"...when I mentioned to him a couple weeks ago that I'm bad with directions, he said "I remember".  So see, I am.  So I printed off directions there AND the reverse directions.  I made it back through the detour and out of downtown in one piece.  I even made it through Spanaway, and by that time the Friday traffic was in full force.  The one bright spot: I got to get a coffee at Big Foot Java, and there aren't any of those near enough to us for me to visit on a regular basis. :)  SOOOO...back to Yelm, had to stop at Walmart (which is also a delight on Friday afternoons) because Sophie is going to make a t shirt to wear for Daddy's race. 
4 hours of my life that I'll never get back later...I'M HOME.  I think when I snapped at the dog for hacking up her lung is when I realized I am super wound up and stressed just from that drive!  And I would consider it a success: I didn't get in a wreck,  I didn't get lost, I didn't scream at anyone...
Tomorrow, we get to drive back out there! I'm so looking forward to it.

I think I need some chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers