About Me

My photo
I'm Beth. I'm married to my best friend, and he's pretty awesome. We have two equally awesome kids, Gavin and Sophie.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hooray for summer!!

Monday was Gavin's last day of school.  I can't believe he's moving on to the 4th grade...time seems to be flying!  I feel like I just took him to his first day of kindergarten.  He has been growing into such a smart little fart though (obviously, because of our influence). :)  We decided to celebrate the end of school and the beginning of summer, and since school was just a half day, we all had lunch and then went to Charlie's Safari!  To say the kids were excited would be an understatement.  If you are unfamiliar with Charlie's Safari, its a little bit like Chuck E. Cheese, but WAY better.  Its huge, with bounce houses, and tons of stuff.  Its not just way better for kids, its way better for parents.  There's tons of tables to sit at, and I don't feel like I'm going slightly crazy there, like I feel at Chuck E. Cheese.  Anyway, we stayed for over 3 hours and the kids had a blast.  I did, too, because they played so well together, I got to read the entire time, almost completely uninterrupted.  Totally worth the cost of their admission. :)
After Charlie's Safari, we went to a park and the kids played, and then Ernie went to his running group, and the kids and I went to Target (my version of fun).
By the time we got home, the kids were exhausted.  It was a great first day of vacation.

Tuesday was the first official day of summer!  To celebrate, the weather decided to cooperate and it was beautiful out.  We decided to take the kids and go to the Nisqually Valley Wildlife Refuge.  We'd never been, even though we pass it all the time.  We didn't even really know what to expect.  It was a really neat place!  There are tons of trails to walk through the refuge.  We took the shortest one, since the kids were with us, but I can't wait to go back again just for adult time and walk all over the place!  It was really pretty there, and to make things even better, they had a sign out saying that since it was the first day of summer, they were waiving the admission fee. :)  That is my kinda outing...I love free.  Everyone should check it out though, its only $3 per family when you do have to pay.  We got pretty hungry walking around so we went and used my restaurants.com certificate (that I got for $2, thank you very much) at Norma's Burgers right around the corner from the wildlife refuge.  We'd never been there, either, and while it was a gigantic paleo cheat, it was delicious.  The kids split an oreo milkshake and we all got burgers.  It was awesome!
We were done with all that by 1, so we went home, got our baseball stuf and went down the street to this baseball field and hit some balls with the kids.  I happened to hit Ernie with some balls.  I don't blame my batting, I blame his pitching. :)  Coincidentally, those balls were the only ones where Sophie yelled "good job mom!" Ha! 
  When it was time to take Sophie to gymnastics, we were all super hot and sweaty and dirty, but we had so much fun! 
All in all I think we crammed in enough stuff to make the beginning of summer vacation super fun for the kids! 
Now I think today sounds good for a nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers